Am I eligible for a government subsidised training place?
Generally, you are eligible for a government subsidised training place if you are:
- Australian Citizen
- Australian Permanent Resident (holder of a permanent visa)
- New Zealand Citizen
and are any of the following:
- under 20 years of age
- seeking to enrol in a Foundation Skills List course (and do not hold a Diploma or above qualification or are receiving core skills training in other sectors)
- seeking to enrol in VCE or VCAL
- seeking to enrol in an apprenticeship
- 20 years and older and ‘upskilling’ by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than your existing qualification
Under the Victorian Training Guarantee, provisions have been made for Asylum Seekers and Victims of Human Trafficking in Victoria to access Government subsidised vocational and training places
People with disability are encouraged to apply.
You are also eligible for a concession (up to and including Certificate IV level) if you hold one the following concession cards:
- Commonwealth Health Care Card, or a dependant spouse or dependent child of a card holder
- Pensioner Concession Card, or a dependant spouse or dependent child of a card holder
- Veteran’s Gold Card
Under the Victorian Training Guarantee an individual is only eligible to:
- Commence a maximum of two (2) government subsidised courses in a calendar year.
- Undertake a maximum of two (2) government subsidised courses at any one time.
- Commence a maximum of two (2) government subsidised courses within the same AQF qualification level (e.g. Certificate I, Certificate II etc.) in their lifetime.
- Training is provided with funding from the Commonwealth and Victorian Government. *
- (*Excludes non-accredited short courses)
If you are enrolled at a school, you will not be able to receive a government-subsidised training place for a course through the Victorian Training Guarantee, unless you are undertaking the course as part of a School-Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship. The Government supports schools in other ways to offer vocational training to their students, so you should discuss all your options with your school.